The RepRapPro Huxley 3D printer is a Replicating Rapid-prototyping machine, or RepRap for short. It is an open-source derivative of the equally open-source RepRap Project which was started at Bath University, UK, in 2004. The machine uses a process known a Fused Filament Fabrication, which it employs to build 3-dimensional objects in a range of plastics and in a variety of colours.
This process enables the user to create almost any shape which can be modelled on a computer, including some which could not be produced by traditional manufacturing techniques at all. Many examples of the objects people have made with Huxley and similar machines can be found on thingiverse.
The RepRap Huxley is one of the smallest 3D printers available in terms of its weight and footprint, but not in terms of its build volume, which is comparatively large. Its primary design goals were to offer a printer which is small enough to be portable, which is fast to replicate, and which is fast to assemble and to commission. Since its inception at the end of 2010, the RepRap Huxley has undergone brisk development and heavy testing. This resulted in a successful crowd-funding campaign on Indiegogo in June of 2011, with over 300 Huxley 3D printer kits sold.
You can see the RepRap Huxley in action on the eMAKER youtube channel here.
There is an active development plan for the RepRap Huxley 3D printer, so users will also have access to software updates and designs for upgraded parts that they can print themselves. With over 300 potential contributors to this development, we hope the machine will surpass even our own expectations.
RepRapPro Huxley specifications
The specifications of the Complete RepRapPro Huxley Kit and the RepRapPro Huxley Hardware Set are identical.
- Build volume: 140x140x90mm
- Overall size: 260x280x280mm
- Printing materials: ABS, PLA, 1.75mm diameter thermoplastic.
- Build surface: PCB-heated bed to reduce complexity of assembly and to ensure parts do not warp.
- Accuracy: 0.1mm
- Resolution: 0.0125mm
- Building speed: 1,800 mm/min
- Moving speed: 12,000 mm/min
- Deposition rate: 33 cm3 / hr
- Motion: Linear ball bearings on X and Y axes, Igus low friction bushings on Z axis.
- Fully pre-soldered electronics with built-in microSD card slot for standalone printing.
- Enhancements to the printed parts to improve the ease of assembly of the X and Y axes
What's in the Complete Kit and in the Hardware Set?
The Complete RepRapPro Huxley Kit includes all components required to get you printing. The RepRapPro Huxley Hardware Set has everything in the Complete Kit except the 3D-printed parts of the Huxley machine.
To 3D-print a full set of Huxley parts to go with the RepRapPro Huxley Hardware Set see this page on the RepRap website.
Software to run the machine is also provided with both, including the firmware for the electronics.
Contents of the Complete RepRapPro Huxley Kit and the RepRapPro Huxley Hardware Set both include:
- All hardware (threaded and smooth rods, screws, nuts, washers, belts, bearings etc)
- Pre-soldered and programmed electronics
- MicroSD card + adapter
- Heated PCB build surface
- Nozzle assembly and extruder drive mechanism
- 100m of 1.75mm diameter PLA filament (approx 300g) for printing with
- Power supply
In addition, the Complete RepRapPro Huxley Kit includes:
- All the 3D-printed Huxley parts
The above contents are subject to improvement without notice. Complete Kits will always be provided with all components required to get you printing. Hardware Sets will always be provided with all components required to get you printing except the 3D-printed parts.
PLEASE NOTE: Prices shown here are an approximation, converted from pound sterling. For accurate pricing in Euros and US Dollars, please see our product page reprappro.com/Huxley Our Current leadtimes for this item are also listed on this page.